This week, in our homeschool preschool, our theme is “Mardi Gras”. We will be learning about the history of Mardi Gras as we embark on a week of preschool activities or toddler activities to celebrate Mardi Gras. We start the week by making party hats and masks. Then, we move on to make party sensory bottles. We finish the week by learning about counting coins and naming colors.
Here’s the history of Mardi Gras to tell your children.
Here’s some Mardi Gras Music on Youtube for that dance party.
Download the our march curriculum.
Subscribe to our mailing list so that you can follow our curriculum and download our printables monthly. Each months’ material will be sent out the month prior.
Our Curriculum for this week:
|03/04/2019->03/08/2019||Theme: Mardi Gras|
|1||Making Party Hats||Making Masks||Mardi Gras Sensory Jar||Mardi Gra Coin Toss Game||Matching Colors on Color Wheel|
|2||Decorate Party Hats||Decorate the Masks with Drawing||Water Painting with Brush||How many coins are in the jar?||Naming Colors|
|3||Alphabet Letter Party Sensory Bin||Pretend Play with Masks||Making a Bead Party Necklace||Coin Transfer Sensory||Two Color Mixing = Purple|
Making Party Hats
Skills: Fine Motor Skills
Materials: Construction Paper of Purple, Green, Yellow, glue stick
- Follow instructions to make the Jester’s hat in this video.
- Decorate the hat with sparkles or confetti.
- Draw on the hat with a marker.
Character Lesson: Creativity
Alphabet Letter Party Sensory Bin
Skills: Verbal, Letter Identification
Materials: Colorful rice or confettis, magnetic letters
- Identify the letters and name them.
- Give an example of a word starting with this letter.
Character Lesson: Patience
Making Mardi Gras Masks
Skills: Fine Motor Skills
Materials: Paper, Glue, Stick
- Make the paper plate masks according to instructions here.
- Color the masks and draw patterns on it.
- Pretend to be a masked creature while play in a fort.
Character Lesson: Imagination
Mardi Gras Sensory Jar
Materials: glitter, water bottle, oil
- Make a variety of sensory bottles with your child.
- Watch as your child is mesmerized with the bottles.
- Take a brush and dip in water, then use the brush to paint on a piece of paper
- Make bead necklace with large beads.
Character Lesson: calm
Mardi Gras Coin Toss Game
Skills: Gross Motor Skills
Materials: Paper cups or buckets, coins
- Setup paper cups or buckets on a table.
- Toss coins into the paper cups or buckets.
- Count the number of coins as the game proceeds.
- Count the number of coins in each cup.
- Dump out all the coins onto a serving tray. Sort the coins.
Character Lesson: Concentration
Color Wheel Color Matching Game
Skills: Verbal, Color Recognition
- Materials: Color Wheel, Color Paint Swatches
- Match the color paint swatch with the color on color wheel.
- Name the colors on the color wheel with your child.
- Match the colors on the color wheel with the paint swatches.
- Tell your child about the purple color. Use red and blue paint to mix to create the color: purple.
Character Lesson: Social
Join Us & Receive
- Parenting Resources
- Homeschool Resources
- Blogging Resources